This course will give delegates an understanding of the legal framework surrounding disciplinary and grievance situations and will also consider the practical aspects of managing disciplinary and grievance processes from start to finish focusing on investigations and hearings.
By the end of the session, delegates will be able to:
· Recognise and respond appropriately to disciplinary and grievance situations
· Identify the stages of a fair and reasonable procedure and understand the implications of failing to follow a fair procedure and the associated costs
· Understand how to carry out a full and proper investigation
· Plan, prepare for and handle disciplinary hearings effectively and in accordance with the ACAS Code of Practice on Disciplinary and Grievance Procedures
· Understand the range of disciplinary sanctions available/grievance outcomes
· Approach the appeal process with confidence and in accordance with the ACAS Code of Practice on Disciplinary and Grievance Procedures
· Understand the importance of maintaining an audit trail
· Deal with any difficulties that arise and understand when suspension is appropriate
· Identification of disciplinary and grievance issues and how these can be managed informally.
· Consideration of formal disciplinary and grievance procedures (in line with ACAS Code of Practice on Disciplinary and Grievance Procedures)
· Relevant legal framework – unfair dismissal and other areas
· The hearing
· Investigation skills
· Handling difficult issues that commonly arise (sickness absence, whistleblowing etc.)